How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am receiving text messages sometimes at a rate of one minute

This answer was rated:

I am receiving text messages sometimes at a rate of one minute (15 last night). They are abusive with swearing and contain threatening implications

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Jo C. :

What would you like to know about this please?


Would I be within my rights to pass this information on to the police?


Has my reply not arrived?



Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I have converted this to Q and A as your responses were not visible in chat.

How long has this been going on and how many roughly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry about this I have only just found your reply.


It took place last night with 15 texts.

My daughter also received at least 9 in ten minutes


From the same source?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes from the same source.

it is my ex son in law who is sending these.


If this is basically a domestic then you can make a report to the police. This would amount to harassment.

Probably all they will do is give him a harassment warning to stop him making contact with you. They would not commonly prosecute on a first incident.

Harassment warnings are often fairly effective though as they do stop the contact. They have no legal basis in themselves but they do involve police officers fixing a person with notice that further contact would amount to harassment. That often prevents any further contact.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your advice.

How do I go about informing the police?

We live in Essex and he lives in London.

Just go and report it to your local police station.

All they are going to do is call him and tell him to stop making contact and there is no excuse for any police officer anywhere in the UK to be unable to do that.

Even if they are going to arrest him with a view to prosecuting there's no reason it cannot be done cross borough.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile