How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was looking for some help. I was married in 1995 and for

Customer Question

I was looking for some help. I was married in 1995 and for 3 years was subjected to physical, mental and sexual abuse. I had the police at the house almost every day, on one occasion he perforated my eardrum and it went to court. In the end, I had to run away leaving all my belongings, and the house we had bought. I am still legally married to him as I haven't divorced him as yet, due to the first divorce being thrown out of court because the solicitor didn't provide enough evidence of domestic violence. I am currently under a psychiatrist, trying to deal with everything that happened to me. I am a recluse, I can't have a physical relationship with my partner I've been with for over ten years, and my life is a misery. I wanted to know if I could sue him for making my life so miserable because of the trauma?

Many thanks

Jacqueline Bolton
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you.
I am afraid that there is no possibility of your suing him for damages for his treatment of you.
However you will be able to raise these issues within the financial side of divorce proceedings
There is no reason why you cannot issue these now based on the fact that you have lived apart for more than five years.
i am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details