How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My neighbours flat felt roof is not pinned to their property

Customer Question

My neighbours flat felt roof is not pinned to their property and the felt is resting against my wall, the rain water then runs down our wall creating damp/leaks. We have had 3 builders confirming this is due to their roof felt. The neighbour is not willing to take responsibility as he is due to move within a fortnight. Where do I stand legally? Please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you had an expert survey yet please?

JACUSTOMER-opsvzaqj- :

No I haven't. We have only had professional confirmation from 3 separate builders with roofing experience.

JACUSTOMER-opsvzaqj- :

No. I have only had professional confirmation from 3 separate builders.

Alex Watts : Ok. You need to get a surveyors report. Once you have this if court proceedings are required then you can use this.
Alex Watts : You would then provide a copy of the report to the neighbour and ask them to do the work.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you can get a local solicitor to write a letter and ask them to do the work or say you will go to court.
Alex Watts : You would have to pay for the letter.
Alex Watts : If the neighbour still refuses then proceedings can be issued.
Alex Watts : You can seek a court order that either the neighbour does the work or you get it done and seek the costs.
Alex Watts : The expert report you have obtained earlier can be used in evidence.
Alex Watts : You are likely to need a solicitor to represent you and you are unlikely to get legal aid.
Alex Watts : But if you take it to court and win you could seek cost back.
Alex Watts : But take the above steps and this should resolve your problem.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: