How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I have received a general form of judgment or order which states:

This answer was rated:

I have received a general form of judgment or order which states: upon the defendant being unemployed, the application for an attachment of earnings be adjourned generally with liberty to restore and shall stand dismissed if not restored by February 2015.

This is related to an outstanding loan I have with a lender and having recently been made redundant, cannot afford regular repayments.

Does the statement above mean that the loan company cannot apply for an attachment of earnings until I find work or Feb 2015 whichever is the sooner? Does it mean I am not liable to repay until I find work (I don't believe this is correct but wanted to ask)

A Clement

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

This simply means that they cannot use this method of enforcement until you have a job, as it requires your employer (which you don't have) to deduct money from your wages. Hence, it's pointless even hearing the application unless you have a job against which, if granted, it can take effect.

tdlawyer :

You do, of course, remain liable to pay in the meantime, and they judgment creditor could look for other methods by which to enforce the debt, such as sending in the bailiffs.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else I can assist with about this question?

tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you