How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

do I have to declare a prison sentence (18 mths) for theft

This answer was rated:

do I have to declare a prison sentence (18 mths) for theft in 1996

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

worked in a bank but somebody in the office removed money from the parcels we were counting but I was charged on the basis that only my fingerprints could be found on the plastic parcel.


What sentence did you get?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

18 months but served 9 in a open prison.

Thanks for the information.

Since you received a custodial sentence of more than 6 months but less than 10 years the offence will be spent after 10 years.

That will mean that it will drop off basic checking after 10 years.

It will always show on standard and enhanced checking I'm afraid and that will be the case despite the fact that the law has just changed upon rehabilitation periods because you did receive a custodial sentence.

However, obviously the older the conviction the less likely it is that anybody would consider it.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile