How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

If I want to leave my property to my kids - can I do so as

This answer was rated:

If I want to leave my property to my kids - can I do so as a gift and thereby not have to pay tax?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you want to transfer your property to your kids during your lifetime, provided it is your only property, there would be no Stamp Duty or other tax that you would have to pay upon completion of the transfer.

I hope this answers your question.

I would however mention that you should take legal advice before deciding to proceed with any such transfer.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there any other charges or taxes and do I need to have done it 7 years before I pass away?

Hi Jay,

For Inheritance tax (IHT) purposes, provided you survive for 7 years from the date of the gift the property would not form part of your Estate for IHT purposes.
However, (and this is where you need to be guided by your Solicitor), if you gift the property to your children, but remain living in it, then for IHT purposes it is classed as a "gift with a reservation" (ie you have gifted it, but as you have preserved enjoyment of it, the property would still be classed as yours and included in your Estate for IHT purposes).
If the above scenario applies to you, then there would be little benefit in transferring the property to your children.

Apart from the IHT, there would be no other taxes you have to pay- just the charges of your Solicitor in completing the paperwork.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you