How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Hi, i signed up a tenent for 6/12 month.just after 9 months

Customer Question

Hi, i signed up a tenent for 6/12 month.just after 9 months i said i was giving her notice as my late mum was diteriating all of a sudden with LUNG&TRACHIA small cell cancer so i had my parent buisness to run take care of both my parents and my own familytoo.
mum&dad were living in a house which was not easy to adapped the eqiptment .So she ended up back in hospital with no sensation in her legs so she came home to live goes on and im gettin upset. Mum pased away 21st of october 2013.
the tenent didnt move out she got a letter sent to me i had to serve her a S21, then that finnished she asked if she was able to stay a bit longer while her flat was getting decorated. my intention was for my dad to move in there when she left but my parents bought it together so he. changed his mind. so my dad told someone it was to be free Feb 18th . as it turns out shes not got anywhere to go and hasn,t even looked and has told my daughter in law that shes going to make me take her to court.Depressed Angela
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.


Hello I am a solicitor with over 5 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


Can you just clarify for me. Does your tenant live in a separate flat or is she in a room in your house sharing facilities with you. Does your father still want to move into the place where she lives? Do you still want the tenant out? Was the length of the tenancy 6 moths or 12 months? When did it start?

JACUSTOMER-mb4pxin3- :

Hi no she is in a detached bungalow with 2 bedrooms, i live in another house with my partner.

JACUSTOMER-mb4pxin3- :

no my dad isn,t moving in any more ,it was a 12 month tenacy. she moved in on the18th of November 2012.

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.


Ok so you have a tenant you want to remove form the place she rents from you. I am not entirely clear when the dates run but if you gave her as assured shorthold tenancy the term of which has expired then you will have little difficulty getting her out.

You will need to serve a notice that complies with s21 housing Acct 1988. These are easy to obtain. You could probably get one from WH Smiths. You need to give your tenant 2 months notice which must end on a date which is after the end of the term of the tenancy. If they do not leave you can then start accelerated possession proceedings. There is no defence to these proceedings provided the tenancy has ended and the correct notice has been given.

If you follow this link it will take you to the government website that has pretty much all the information you need on this. Your costs will be limited and you should be able to recover your issue fee from the tenant. If there are any rent arrears you may be able to issue proceedings online but if, as seems to be the case you are simply after possession at the end of the tenancy then you cannot use that service.

Once you have started court proceedings the process will usually take less than a month.

I hope this answer is helpful but if you have any further questions then please ask.




Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.