How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in a housing association property my husband was the

This answer was rated:

I live in a housing association property my husband was the tenant, Iam now the tenant but they will not give me the right to buy with discount even though I have paid the rent for 38 years out of ma bank account not a joint account is there anything I can do

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Were you both named or just him? What happened to your husband please?

only he was named. he died in november

Alex Watts : And I assume you succeeded?


Alex Watts : If you have succeeded then you have to be a tenant a number of years you gain the right to buy.
Alex Watts : For right to buy the clock only starts ticking from the time you succeeded.
Alex Watts : If you had been a joint tenant you would have had 38 years.
Alex Watts : But as you were not named, the time starts from November.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

thats fine thankyou

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you