How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

sold a laptop to a friend for 1700. he said he will send me

Customer Question

sold a laptop to a friend for 1700. he said he will send me the funds into my account once he had received money he was expecting. He later came back saying he had not received the funds that he would need more time. meanwhile he had opened the laptop and started using it. 6 months went by and he paid half of it, saying he would give me the balance the next month. its been close to a year now and he is still stalling. got tired of waiting and said I wanted my money. he has just out right said he is not giving me my money back. please advise on the next step I can take. as this was a personal trade. I have all the correspondence and text.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is he working please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he was a student at the time i sold him the laptop. He said his dad was meant to send him the money for the laptop. when he said he could not get the money from his dad he said he was working on some contracts and once he got paid from them he would forward the payment. He said he would definitely get the money by the 25th of decemeber last year. kept hounding him and he kept changing. i asked where my money was today and threatened him by saying i would involve the police. he said go ahead that he is not giving me anymore money.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

The reason he said that is that the police will say this is a civil matter.

This is just a breach of contract. You can sue him here

fairly cheaply and quickly now.

However, the problem is not getting judgment. It is getting the money. Generally speaking, there is no point in suing a person without the means to pay the award.

It may be worth suing anyway. Its interesting how unemployed people can afford enormous sums of money when it suits them so he may pay it off to avoid the CCJ.

However, it would be irresponsible of me not to mention that he may not be worth suing.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i would his need his current address for the form. as you can imagine he is reluctant to give it. and his address is not on the electoral register. i know he is still a student of salford university. could you advise on how i may retrieve his address or go about it. thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You can always use the services of a tracing agent but you may not be able to claim that back.

Failing that you can use his last known address.