How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am owed some money and completed a money claims online case

This answer was rated:

I am owed some money and completed a money claims online case which has been completely ignored. If I want this enforced I will have to pay a further amount that is nearly the same as what I am owed in the first place. How successful is this action likely to be and will the extra charge be added to what he owes me?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Does this person have any money please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, he owns his own successful international business.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He also signed an agreement agreeing to my terms and conditions of business.

Does he have an address in the UK?

How much does he owe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he lives in Wales, where his business is based. He owes £118 plus the court fee of £25 making the total claim £143.


The next stage is for me to request a warrant issued for his arrest and this is £100.


You cannot get a warrant for his arrest. Nobody is arrested for debt in the UK.

There should be no difficulty with getting judgment against him on the facts that you mention.

The difficulty here will be that it would cost more to enforce than the claim would be worth if he does just dig his heels in and refuse to pay. Of course, its quite unlikely that would happen because he will not want the CCJ and this is a sum of money that can be easily cleared by anybody in work or in profit but that is the risk you face.

If the judgment against him does not lead to payment then you would ahave to consider your options. The most commonly used are bailiffs. There are others thiough.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't mean arrest, it's been a long day! The warrant is to enforce the judgement. Judgement by default has already been made as he hasn't paid in the required time.


My question was will this £100 for the warrant be added to the amount he has to pay me?



I see what you mean.

Yes, he is liable for the costs of enforcement.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile