How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have power of attorney for my mothers estate she is currently

Customer Question

I have power of attorney for my mothers estate she is currently in a care home (self funded) Can I legally take a deed of gift and give it to a family member for say £3000 without any implications?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your mother still have Mental Capacity and is this what she wants?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not full capacity some days she has and some not
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then No I am afraid that this is not something that you can do.
As her Attorney you can only act in her Interests and this does not appear to be in her interest
the only exception would be if it was in line for gifts she had given on special occasions in the past - such as the wedding of a grandchild
Please ask if you need further details