How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have just been told have early onset altsymers and my wife

Customer Question

I have just been told have early onset altsymers and my wife wants power of attorny over my affares,as I feel ok and perfectly ok to care for myself I think this far too early at this stage.

Please advise,
The Old Bell,Dennington,Woodbridge,SUFFOLF 01728 638658
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. I would most certainly advise that you create a Lasting or Enduring Power of Attorney at this stage before it gets too late. Otherwise it will make dealing with your financial and personal welfare fraught with difficulty. I regret to say that your wife is correct in this instance. The difficulty with not having an Enduring or Lasting Power of ATtorney in place is that things like paying for your medical bills might be impossible. Similarly, there might be difficulties in making decisions about your care. I appreciate that you may be OK to deal with things at the moment. But with the progressive onset of the disease this will not be the case. So you need to prepare for that eventuality and set out a scheme within which decisions about you will be made. You cannot make one any longer once you loose your faculties. Such a Power of Attorney only kicks in once you loose your mind.

Buachaill :

2. Until then, you wil handle your own affairs. It is only when you ar eno longer able to do so, that someone else authorised by the Power of Attorney will take over. Go and see a solicitor who will draft one up for you. Be aware that you will need additionally to have a psychiatrist in attendance to certify as to your mental capacity to make the Power of ATtorney.