How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71128
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

can the police put a surveillance camera that looks into my

This answer was rated:

can the police put a surveillance camera that looks into my property and also looks into my bedroom from which if the bedroom door is open they can see through into my kitchen/living room?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How do you know this is happening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

because an incident occurred a few weeks ago leading to the camera being installed. It is highly visible and I have no issue with the neighbour being protected, however I do have issues with my privacy being compromised.



If the police have authorities to conduct surveillance in that location then I'm afraid they are entitled to do so.

If you are describing police witness protection then that fairly rarely takes the form of surveillance though. Witness protection is a very expensive and time consuming business and is only really offered when very serious crimes are alleged by credible witnesses. It doesn't take the form of surveillance often anyway.

If there are concerns about certain crimes in the area and the police are upon reconnaisance operations then I'm afraid their authorties to do that take priority over the rights of any citizen to privacy although, of course, you are always free to draw curtains.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The person next door left the premises the following day and is not returning. The authorities are aware of this, does this change the situation in any way?



It depends if they are watching him and for what offence.

Clearly he isn't in witness protection if so.

It depends on all circumstances of the case. If this is something like a crack house then they will be watching the house generally to see who comes and goes. Usually when the police do reconnaissance work there are more than one suspects.

They do need to have a legitimate reason to target certain properties though but obviously they are not likely to reveal that to a member of the public.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


He was the victim of an assault and the alleged culprits allegedly came on to his property armed trying to locate him to drop the charges hence the reason that he has left the property. He is not in protective custody or in witness protection. I know this because I have spoken to him several times since the incident. He already had plans to go to the USA at the end of January but has put this on hold until after the trial. I know where he is staying but obviously have no desire to make this public knowledge. The police and the alleged culprits do of course know all this hence my concerns that a camera has ben installed that can be of no use whatsoever to their case.

Their purpose then will be to see if they do return I would imagine.

if they haven't been arrested then that is reasonable.

If they have been arrested then I suppose the police could argue that they could send others to the house but it gets weaker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your help.


No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you