How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My mum currently rents the bungalow next door from my sisters

This answer was rated:

My mum currently rents the bungalow next door from my sister's husband and pays £460 a month. She has never had any contract/document as his tenant and has been living there approximately 8 years. My sister is about to divorce her husband and move out. Is my mum about to be evicted, should the situation turn nasty? Or is she a sitting-tenant? What are her rights, please? She is 79 in April this year.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : She can only be evicted with a court order.
Alex Watts : However she does not have any written agreement she is a tenant at will. This same she has no protection.
Alex Watts : The landlord could serve notice to ask her to leave but by law must give a minimum of 2 months notice.
Alex Watts : If she does not move out at the end the landlord can apply for possession from the court. This takes around 4-6 weeks to get into court.
Alex Watts : A court can give up to 42 days for possession.
Alex Watts : Then if she doesn't move out the landlord has to apply for a warrant of possession which takes around 4-6 weeks.
Alex Watts : So all in all she could delay it by about 5 months.
Alex Watts : But she has no agreement and therefore no right to remain.
Alex Watts : Can I claiify anything for you about this today please?

What if he changed the locks?

Alex Watts : That is an unlawful eviction and she can sue for loss and damage.
Alex Watts : In short a court order must be obtained before any eviction.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

Many thanks for you help X

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you