How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

What action can HMRC take if somebody declares unpaid property

This answer was rated:

What action can HMRC take if somebody declares unpaid property rental income tax for the past 15 years under the current Let Property Campaign and would they take criminal proceedings due to the length of time involved? Finally what course of action should the person take, if any, before contacting HMRC?
If you read the published information , if a full disclosure is made then HMRC can accept it in which case they will make a deal of repayment of the tax and that should be the end of it. If they refuse it because they do not accept it is genuine or if any false disclosure is made they can then impose higher penalties and even prosecute.

The basic principle is that if you make disclosure under the scheme then they will not take any criminal action. If you do not and then are found out they will prosecute.

As long as he provides a reasonable and sensible estimate of the figures I am sure they will accept it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

However, as asked, what course of action should he take before contacting HMRC?


Also how should he contact them? - by telephone, if so what telephone number should he use, or in person at a local branch of a HMRC office

he should fill in a notification form . See here:

Or telephone 03000 514 479

Once he has contacted them he will have 3 months to calculate his rental income and pay the tax or agree with them a payment schedule

He should work out a best as possible the net income and the tax payable. If necessary get local tax accountant to help him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is he allowed to include in the calculation of net income, apart from rental payments, and does tax payable have to take into account personal income tax threshholds applicable during the 15 year period, i.e. is it taxable at 20% and/or 40%

Rental income is taxable as part of overall income so the rate depends on total income for the year and yes unused personal allowances can be offset. The calculation of taxable profit depends upon authorised deductions. you can find out what is authorised on the hmrc website - for example mortgage interest may be allowable but capital is not but there are allowances. If you do not know how to do it you would be better to use an accountant - it is likely to save tax at the end of the day.

You can find some basic info here:
Senior Partner and other Law Specialists are ready to help you