How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I recently moved house, using a removal company, and a picture

This answer was rated:

I recently moved house, using a removal company, and a picture frame got badly damaged, the company are saying I should claim from my home insurance, but it was damaged in transit or in storage.. Is there anything I can do, this company are taking no blame and told me to go and seek advice, should I get a solicitor involved? And do I have a right to claim
Lesley Brennan

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much is it worth please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was £250 but it's in the sale at Laura Ashley for £139.. When I last looked.. But will re check .. My e mail address [email protected] in case I get cut off.. Using my phone in the car, but will check exact price when am home and on computer
Thanks. Thats fine. A rough estimate is OK.

How old was it roughly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's not 3 months old .. Was bought a a moving present, by my best friend

You do have a claim against them. The fact that you may have a claim against your household insurers as well is immaterial. You do not have to claim upon your insurance. They caused damage and they are liable.

You can issue here

But its a good idea to send them a letter giving them 28 days to pay and making clear that you will sue if you do not receive payment. That often resolves things.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i dont hear back from this company, would you send them a letter, or how do i go about starting the process of sueing them

We can't write to anybody for you under the rules of this site but you shouldn't be incurring the cost of a solicitor's letter. Its more expensive than the claim.

Just write to them yourself and if that fails then issue here