How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just outlined my case and now found that it may have

This answer was rated:

I have just outlined my case and now found that it may have gone to your International section. Can it be transferred over to your side - it relates to a debt owed to me by a solicitor in the UK.

Has my outline been retrieved by your section yet?


Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I can't see your previous question - might I trouble you to post it again here and I will try and help?


Since 2002, I have been freelancing as a Statement Taker, Photographer, Plan Drawer, and Investigator for a firm of Solicitors in Chelmsford Essex. They would send me a letter requesting that I carry out a tasking (anywhere in England and Wales and twice in Scotland), I would carry it out, and on completion, make out an invoice which included a date when the payment was due (one month ahead). The due dates were ignored by the Company - I was told that I did not get paid until the solicitors got paid by the Courts.

Alex Watts :

But your deal didnt include getting paid when they got paid by the Courts?

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request payments within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.


If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.


The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.


If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.


Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Over time, monies owing to me increased and at one time was in excess of £30,000, but with persistence I managed to bring this vast sum down to a more respectable level. In 2010, I had to suspend my work for knee operation which went wrong and this led to a further time away from working. The operation was eventually corrected and then my other knee showed problems and so I had to wait for another operation which was carried out successfully, and I was ready to re-start work. However, my work had been taken over by someone else and I decided to retire (I am 70 yrs of age now). Up to that time, I had continually advised the Solicitors of the outstanding amounts and occasionally, a cheque for a particular tasking would arrive. Currently, I am owed just over £4,000. Yesterday, I received a cheque for £2,000 together with a letter saying that the cheque was in full and final settlement of all monies howsoever arising due to you (me) and/or SPaRS (my Company) from this firm...... I took it as a huge insult offering me less than half of what I am owed for work that I have carried out and which they gratefully received - I have paid out for air fares, petrol, accommodation, and food whilst working for them, and now they turn round and dispute this by offering me this paltry sum.



Alex Watts : If you accept in full and final settlement you can not take further action and any claim would fail.
Alex Watts : Therefore if you are now owed just £4000 it would be a small claim and you should take the steps above.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?

From your own experience, is there anything that I should be wary of in taking a firm of solicitors to the County Court, or even trying to settle without involving the Courts? I am still very angry about this, but in the end, all I want is what they owe me/




Philip Hennessy

Alex Watts : Phillip - debt is a debt. It makes no difference whether its a builder or solicitor.
Alex Watts : You would follow the same process regardless.
Alex Watts : Unless it was agreed you would be paid when paid by the court, they can not hold onto it.
Alex Watts : You are not a bank.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you