How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I have a one bedroom coach house link detached. two

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a one bedroom coach house link detached. two weeks ago I had a blockage, the toilet overflowed, water came into the bath and bathroom sink. We called out Dyno Rod to sort problem, there report after using jetting and placing a camera down the pipe was a pot of glue which they said plumbers use. Dyno could not free the pot and said the concrete below the first level garage floor would have to be dug up to get to the waste pipe where the blockage was. Dyno wrote a report and stored photo,s they said in the report to contact Redrow who built the property in 2005. I bought the property off plan and have lived here from new. I have contacted Redrow customer services and sent the Dyno report and photo to them. After one conversation with the customer service manage no one as got back to me. Have tried twice since and no reply please can you advise.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does Redrow who built the coach house have to put this problem right. it as cost me £137.00 so far for Dyno rod and should they legally reply to me in response to my email with Dyno report and photo.


Under the Limitation Act 1986 you have six years to bring claims in negligence. That time starts to run from when the negligence becomes apparent, but is subject to a long stop date of 15 years.

Under the Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations goods must be free from defects for six years, so that is out of time.

Ask them to sort the problem within the next 21days failing which you will get the problem repaired at your own expense and sue them for the costs.

If they don’t reply, get the job done, pay the bill and sue them in the small claims court

BUT if this is a shared sewer, it is responsibility of utility company so call them and don’t do it yourself.

If used exclusively by you it is your responsibility though

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my coach house is a leasehold flat which sits on top of three garages, one garage is mine. the waste pipe may go underneath one of the other two garages which is not mine. could I still get the job [blockage] done with their permission?



If you need to dig up someone elses floor you will need consent but they will have to grant it under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act or face court application

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile