How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I recently had a car parked on the side of the road that i

Customer Question

I recently had a car parked on the side of the road that i couldn't tax because the MOT had expired and i was waiting for an electrical part to pass the MOT. The road is a dead end with no through traffic. The house i was living at had no driveway. I returned to find it clamped . This cost me £250 to remove , then i had the MOT garage pick it up and put it in there yard for 3 weeks. Then i recieved a notice to pay a further £235 which i refused to pay. Ive just had a call from a court enforcement officer who says that i now have to pay him £565 or i go to prison for 28 days. Now bearing in mind i have no previous offences of any kind and have owned the car for 6 yrs without ever failing to tax this i am shaking with anger that i have to pay £800 plus for "leaving my car at the side of the rd" !!!! And apparently could go to prison. Is this truly possible??
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Jo C. :

Yes, it is in short but only for non payment of court fines rather than the trigger offence.

Jo C. :

Why have you not paid please?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I have converted this to Q and A to make it easier to respond?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i haven't paid because i don't believe i committed any crime given my circumstances. I provided proof that the vehicle was not being used with hertz car rental receipts. I also think that the original fine(s) totaling nearly £500 is absolutely extortionate. can i complain anywhere?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
That is a problem.

Can you pay it off in full?

Or are you prepared to go to prison? Some people are sometimes.