How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Sorry for the long intro but its needed! When my employer

Customer Question

Sorry for the long intro but it's needed! When my employer decided to retire I had the option of either purchasing the business or been made redundant, as such I came to an agreement that I would purchase the business assets from him for a nominal fee (not a going concern) I registered a new ltd company (with a similar name to the one he traded with) new bank account and new vat number. I approached his landlord and asked for a new lease on the unit he rented (so I could trade from the same address. The landlord told me that he would not issue a new lease until the arrears had been paid even though I was not the same company. He did however take £1000 from me towards December and January's rent. During January he began making threats of eviction even though I had made it clear that my former employer no longer traded from the address and nothing in the unit belonged to him.

This weekend i went to visit family 300 miles away, while I was away and without any notice the landlord has forced entry (cutting off £150 with of locks in the process that I paid for) and evicted me. He has told me that I can have the items from the workshop as he knows I don't owe him the money however he has given me 4 days and only between 9am and 1500 to access the workshop this leaves me with no time to organise anything. He's threatened to take all my belongings (£20k of assets and stock) and throw them in the street if they are still there on Monday. I'm working on site this week for a customer I really can't let down. Another major customer has read the eviction notice on the door of the workshop (which incorrectly bears my name) and pulled all their work from me. I understand that I have to case to stay in the unit as I don't have a lease but can he give me the equivalent of 15 hours to find somewhere else, can he throw my stuff onto the street? I've told him that I will hold him liable for any damages or losses if he does and he says he knows the law and he doesn't care. What options do I have - can I take out an injunction to stop him been so unreasonable?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you have any lease please?
JACUSTOMER-5jfdfpja- : Hi there my boss had a "tenancy at will" but it was literally very basic. I don't have a lease just a couple of letters and texts saying that I can have a lease once he's paid his money
Alex Watts : Are you behind at all?
JACUSTOMER-5jfdfpja- : I took over from 1st December I gave the landlord £1000 to cover Decembers rent (£650 +vat) and a bit towards January's, in January when he asked for more money I told him that I wanted a lease before I paid anymore money, he told me that the £1000 I had given him had gone towards the arrears on the unit, and that he would not give me a lease until the previous Tennants bill (my boss) was paid. The bill is absolutely not my responsibility, and the £1000 should not have been used in this way
Alex Watts : You can apply to the court for relief.
Alex Watts : You need to complete form N5a
Alex Watts : The court will list the matter for a hearing.
Alex Watts : But he can certainly not go in and dipose of your goods and equipment. You could also seek an injunction.
Alex Watts : But the first step is to apply to the court for relief.
Alex Watts : A court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please
JACUSTOMER-5jfdfpja- : Yes - what should I write in the particulars of claim section also it refers to the claimant having an interest in a lease - which I don't have?
Alex Watts :

You need to complete what you want to seek, which is the history of the matter and when/how you were locked out.

Alex Watts :

You have an interest in the property yes, but a tenancy at will. You are seeking relief that you be allowed to re-enter

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-5jfdfpja- : If I draft the particulars and paste here are you happy to edit /advise or can I pay you to complete the form?
Alex Watts : I can't compete the form but I can edit.
JACUSTOMER-5jfdfpja- : Ok I'll complete it this eve and post here
Alex Watts :


Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: