How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Property law related. I own a property but my mother has

Customer Question

Property law related.

I own a property but my mother has an 'interest' due to loaning me £100,000 throughout my life for various properties. I want to protect her investment and myself whilst in the midst of divorce. My last property I bought before marriage, lived in it two years, but not the last five whilst I have been living abroad with my husband.

My question is, I to show both that I repaid part of her loan of £50k recently and that she still retains 1/5 interest in the property and that I have granted her as a result no income but a life interest to live in the property in her later years given she has no property of her own.

How do I create document or what is the type of document I require to reflect the above and be accepted in a court of law. I have been saying my mum is a joint owner which is only true by verbal agreement, but we have nothing in writing to prove this and I have a feeling my unemployed husband is going to try and gain from this. Can you help?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you got evidence of the monies paid by your mother?
Has your husband always been aware of this?
Where does your mother live at the moment?