How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a Tenant in a HOUSING ASSOCIATION. My needs are for a

This answer was rated:

I am a Tenant in a HOUSING ASSOCIATION. My needs are for a Electric Mobility Scooter. to secure housing at night the hallway in our flat is the only safe way. This blocks EXIT and in EMERGENCY with no Emergency Lighting would be impossibly. The Landlord has recently built
a further Block of six flats, to gain permission they had to add a DISABILITY flat plus Housing for Wheelchairs. Our landlord will not RECOGNISE the Disability Act so I have been told to get out if I pursue. I have been a tenant in my flat for nine years. Does the Disability Act of Parliament cover my problem. It is not COUNCIL.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : It has now been renamed the Equality Act 2010 but yes it does address your problem.
Alex Watts : They are required to make reasonable adjustments for you.
Alex Watts : You can demand that they take reasonable steps to accommodate you.
Alex Watts : If not potentially you could take them to court.
Alex Watts : As Housing Association they are a public body.
Alex Watts : Therefore if you are not satisifed with them you can take several steps to complain
Alex Watts : You can complain to the ombudsman who are independent and offer a free service.
Alex Watts : Their website is
Alex Watts : You can also complain to the Equality Commission.
Alex Watts : If the Ombudsman does not work they may take on the case for you.
Alex Watts : Their website is
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

I have made a request but have not received a reply. I know all requests are directed to one person who blocks mail to MANAGEMENT. so no requests are answered. How can I go from hear.

Alex Watts :

Yes, you need to take the steps I have outlined above to achieve the result you want.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you