How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, my name is Julie I would like to ask you for the advice.

Customer Question

Hi, my name is Julie
I would like to ask you for the advice. I am renting a house for 5 years from an agency, last year, in May , my landlord sent me a letter saying that the house is sold and I , my husband and my 3 children have to move out , then he kept sending me the claim forms for possession of the property, then the general form of Judgment. So I packed my bags, and now I am all packed waiting for the order to move out. Yesterday I m receiving a letter from an agency saying that from april they are raising my rent from 910 up to 1250 pounds per months. During that waiting time I was expecting to get a council house, because I am in the queu for 10 years.
What can I do now?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Is the agent saying that you do not need to leave the house now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, they say that I can stay, but they rase the price for the rent by 440 pounds


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
You should respond to the agent that you do not accept the new rent and that you will continue paying the old rent.

They cannot force you to pay the new rent unless you agree. If they do not like it, they can take eviction proceedings all over again.

Hope this helps