How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I had a contract with a customer for £ 52,500 I started

This answer was rated:

I had a contract with a customer for £ 52,500

I started first phase of job which was quoted at £ 2,000

Customer said I had not completed in time and was therefore in breach of contract

Customer appointed another contractor to complete work which allegedly cost £75,000 and customer wanted £ 25,000 from me for costs.

I obviously disagreed

Customer to out an adjudication against me for this alleged breach but adjudication went in my favour and no breach was found

I am now trying to recover £ 2,000 for work I carried out but now also want to claim for loss of profit as I believe this contract was taken from me illegally.
Am I correct in thinking this and how do I go about assessing/claiming loss of profit?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Yes you can claim for the £2000 and lost profit on the total contract

Alex Watts :

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the seller and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: No that's fine thanks
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Alex
One further question on this please

I wanted to claim £ 10,500 for loss of profit due to,contract being taken from my company, wrongly according to adjudication

In adjudication the claimant was trying to get £ 25,000 from me for additional costs due to employing a new contractor

When responding to adjudicator I claimed £ 10,500 for loss but adjudicator in his final summary stated
"I find that CEL ( the referring party ) is not entitled to claim any damages.
In view of this finding I have not considered WJP (me) counterclaim , since any counter claim, if justified, can only can only seek to diminish or extinguish the claim"

I understand this to mean that as CEL claimed £ 25,000 damages although they lost I cannot claim loss of profit £ 10,500 because then Cel's claim would have to be considered.

It seems wrong that I lose contract unfairly but then cannot claim loss of profit because CEL chose a much more expensive contractor therefore I cannot claim for my loss

Is this right, apologies if explanation is not too clear but I hope you get gist of what I am trying to say
Yes indeed, just because that's an adjudicator ruling does not stop you bringing a claim.