How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I wanted to pay of a lump sum off my mortgage with cheltenham

This answer was rated:

I wanted to pay of a lump sum off my mortgage with cheltenham & Glos. I went into my C & G branch to find it had become TSB. I asked if my account was now with them and they confirmed it was. I returned the following week 27 Jan) with my cheques as directed payable to myself with mortgage number as payee. They processed them and gave me a receipt. It now turns out that my mortgage account is with Lloyds. The cheques have been cashed but the money still isnt in my mortgage account and neither Lloyds or TSB are able to tell me where it is. Can I ask TSB for my money back or put a stop on the cheques? Or do I now need a solicitor?

This business of Lloyds and TSB breaking up has been very confusing as some of the C&G mortgage accounts are with TSB and others are with Lloyds.

You don't need to worry as you have a receipt. You should ask your bank if they have details as to when and to whom the funds were paid to and also let Lloyds know that as far as you are concerned, you have cleared their mortgage account.

You do not need to involve a solicitor at this stage, unless Lloyds chases you for the mortgage money. You should also ask for compensation for the stress and inconvenience this has caused you.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lloyds has no idea where the money is and TSB cannot explain why they took the cheques and told me my account was with them. Can I ask TSB to give me a cheque back for the money they appear to have lost?


Yes, you may ask TSB for a refund of your money in that case.

You should also raise a formal complaint about the missing money and claim compensation.

If Lloyds charges any default charges, TSB should pay these charges.

You also need to send Lloyds proof that you paid the money to TSB so that your credit file is not incorrectly messed up.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much for your help, you have put my mind at rest.