How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71046
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I sold my one man Instrumenst Manufacturing Company with customers

This answer was rated:

I sold my one man Instrumenst Manufacturing Company with customers that included BP to a Russian lead multinational in May 2102. There were to be 3 stage payments over 2 years 50% on contract, and teh other 50% 12 months apart. The deal included Royalty payments for 4 yeasr anda 2 year Service Contract/. After one year I had to fight like hell to get 80% of teh second paymnet and loss of job by signing all my rights away or get nothing more, I was threatened with Legal action if I ever mentioned this . They were preaperd to lose the case ( in writing) 6 months ago they appproached me to work for thme and I refused because of the bad treatmnet i was given . This was followed yesterday by a Solicitors letter therateing to take out an injunction with Penal -imprisionment , asset removal and damages should I ever mention this matter . I am 78 yeras old and this was my working life they destroyes and used economically threatening behaviour. How / wher do I go too get criminal charges. I cannot afford a civil case. I am 78 teras old with heart problems now R,Maurer mobile 07830 129 130

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but what criminal charge do you think would apply?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Forcing me to accept less than the agreed Share sale price by theats of court action if I tell anyone about this or try and seek leagl redress. I am unable to afford to go to a civil action I want to know if I can take out a criminal charge for THREATENING BEHAVIOUR - albeit it financila ruin


I am confused by the charges /membership. I am happy to spen £ 33 Thirty Thtee pounds now to get info that will help me plan what to do. Then I can come come back to you or be forced to lck my wounds

You will need to email customer services about the membership that you have [email protected]

However, threatening behaviour per se is not an offence in the UK. There is an offence under S4 public order act that sounds fairly similar but it doesn't apply here.

This is just a civil matter. The solicitors letter does not amount to a crime or a civil wrong. It might well make an empty threat but thats not against the law.

I'm afraid you will not be able to get the solicitor or the instructing client charged under the criminal law for sending out this letter.

Thats not to say that there is a case against you but just that there is not a case against them.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YOur answer was quick - I give you that. It seemed OKay at that moment


What I wanted and need is as follows


The original shae sale agreemnent was for £ X. and I was threatend to accept 0.5X or get nothing after the first payment. I was ;also threatened with Injuctions that would stipulate imprisionment and seizure of assets even if they LOST THE CASE and it cost them expenses if they lost. They were quite prepared to let this drag on for years. NOBODY acceptes the THEFT termms offered unless under severe 1930's Al Capone Mafia management


I want to know if and who do I go to to lay criminal charges. If they threatedn me with Physical violence the Police would be at my aid


Why can they threaten Economic Violence to me and my aged wife


I cannot afford a civil action against a multinational. Half of teh accused will be 'overseals' at the trial dates


This is the answer I need

Thanks and regards


R.Maurer Mob 07831 129 130

There is no such thing as economic violence I'm afraid.

There is no offence in making a threat that you do not intend to enforce of this nature.

I'm not sure what question you are asking but I cannot give you a different answer to the one above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was forced to accpt a lower price or get nothing more THIS MUST BE CRIMINAL FRAUD

I was again threatended with an Injuctiuon to keep silent etc that if broken will lead to IMPRISIONMENT SEIOZURE OF ASSETS ETC


This is mafia behaviour and fraud. If thses threats agaoinst me are not relizable then it is all bluff.Then I telol my old customers why they are not dealing with me agaon and ask them to give me work to do


I liost my livelihood through thses people.. There must be some redress. A simple answer will suffice - Have a I git recourse to law or not. Is this type of injunction basically an empty threat.


I would appreciate this answer


Thanks and regards




I'm really sorry but I cannot give you a different answer.

As I've said, their actions are not against the law.

You may well have had a challenge to their prices but then that should have been dealt with by refusing to pay and inviting them to sue unfortunately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry to go on. I am not sure what you mean ,I was forced to accept their offered low settlement with severe caveats that I will never try to sue or talk about this matter or get NOTHing more at all. I was forced to accept all these conditions under SEVERE DURESS


My only alternative at that time was to refuse to accept the low settlement and start proceedings without the funds to go to court. No Legal aid is available.My family woudld suffer under these circumstances

My only hope was that the contract I signed which allows them to threaten these legal actions aginst me is that under these DURESS conditions the AGREEMENT is null and Void.. If I read you correctly this fraud/theft is legal and there is no recourse left to me. If this is the case , there is no point in continously asking for advice. I have to accept that FRAUD of this nature is legal and I am unable to get redress

Kind regards



This was not duress I'm afraid.

It was just a threat that they would go to court. That does not amount to duress or even really any unlawful pressure.

I'm very sorry but this is not fraud or any other wrongful act. Its just a threat that they probably wouldn't have enforced if you had refused to pay and invited them to sue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry again


It was not me that was refusing to pay


It was OGSL who was refusing to pay the full original agreed Share Sale amount on the paymnet anniversary I was MADE me accept less under their vicious terms or get NOTHING MORE. I had no alternataive but to accept these terms to get an unsatisfactory settlement for the sale of my business to them

Yes, I understand.

But the problem is that you did have a choice. You could have just refused and sued.

I suppose you could try to argue that you accepted the sum under protest and the remainder is due essentially on the basis of mistake but thats not duress and you are not going to get any more than the difference due under the contract. That is always supposing that mistake is accepted.

Also, if you are going to do that then you need to stop making allegations of fraud and any other allegation without a basis. This is just breach of contract at its highest.