How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

After the Newham council has given me the Selective License

This answer was rated:

After the Newham council has given me the Selective License to continue renting my property for 9 person on single tenancy for family and relatives, they visited the property last 10/02/2013 and told me that since each rooms have lockable internal doors and beds
, they consider the property to be HMO and I should take off the lockable internal doors, beds and fittings. The locks on these doors were there since I bought the property in 2006.
I have reported the 5 bedroom to the council when I apply for the liscence with 2 family member for 4 double room and one to the single room. These were the one reported for the liscence that was approved.
Do I have the right to appeal the removal of bedroom locks and reduction of beds as other family member will not have bed to sleep and security of the property could be effected having no locks on the bed room doors as burglary to the place happened several times before and the family renting may complaint for lock of security as this was one of the reason they rented my property.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes you can appeal,
Alex Watts : First you should write to the Council and ask them to reconsider the decision.
Alex Watts : If they do and their original decision stands or they refuse then you can appeal to the Housing Tribunal.
Alex Watts : You usually have to appeal within 28 days.
Alex Watts : But yes you can appeal.
Alex Watts : For more information please see
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank You

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you