How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi,A few weeks ago I received an email from some family

This answer was rated:



A few weeks ago I received an email from some family members, saying my father owed them some money because 30 years ago one of their family members had given my father money. My father passed away in April 2012 and nothing of this was ever discussed when my father was alive. The email suggested as may father owed them X amount of money we are rightly entitled 50% equity of your house, which my mother and I currently live in.

Even before my fathers death, my mother and father got divorced. In the divorce settlement my mother was given the house and the deeds of the property were signed over to her.

Also, the family member who had apparently had given my father the money also passed away 15 years ago and anything regarding this money was never discussed. Their seems to be no paper work or any agreements this may have occurred.

My question, what evidence would they need to produce to prove this had happened?

and how would the property come into play?


Thank you.

Thank you for your question.

If the property is in your mother's name the property doesn't come into it.

Further as the alleged debt appears to be decades old it is time barred. In England a debt is unenforceable if no claim is made within 6 years.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you