How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I employed a roofer (through check a trade) to solve a water

This answer was rated:

I employed a roofer (through check a trade) to solve a water penetration from the garage that joins the house into garage. In actual fact the problem was far worse than before. I therefore asked two tradesmen to give their opinion on work carried out. I quote from one of the reports given to me 'Unfortunately the works you have had carried out are not to good workmanship and would be condemned by any building control as bad code of practice'
It goes on to say that I should report to trading standards and get a full refund for the appalling work. How do I stand in this situation.

You have the right to take legal action against this "rogue trader" as their work seems to be faulty contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act, which provides that the work must have been carried out with reasonable care and skill. I agree, the person should be reported to trading standards as well.

You may file a court claim against the person online for refund of your money at on the grounds that it is defective and you may use the reports of the other builders to prove your claim that their work was shoddy.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you