How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I was arrested for an alledged assault on my son, he is 26,

This answer was rated:

I was arrested for an alledged assault on my son, he is 26, I am 68. he is 6 2, I am 5.6. I pleaded not guilty but the Magistrates cCourt ruled that I should be excluded from my home until the trial came to court, 5 months later. I continued to pay all the bills for the house, plus finding a place to stay, and paying for that too.
I was found not guilty by the Magistrates Court. Am I entitled to compensation for my extra expenses that I incurred while living away from my home?
Kevin Egleston.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am afraid that you are not going to be able to claim this money. I assume that there was an allegation made which the police investigated and referred to the CPS who approved the charge. The case then went to court and you were acquitted. You could have applied to vary the bail conditions during the course of the case and there were probably a number of court hearings at which those conditions were approved. You could have also applied for bail in the Crown Court. You may have done both without success. If so there could be a further appeal if a legal error had been made by the court.

You could only claim the money back if the court had made an illegal decision and even then it would be extremely difficult to claim. The only challenge would be by Judicial Review and you are probably out of time for that.

Defendants receive no compensation even if they spend a long time remanded in custody awaiting trial and are then found not guilty. People have lost businesses or been unable to pay their mortgages and still no payments.

The only circumstances where I can think of someone receiving compensation for a false allegation are where the false accuser was convicted of perjury and their victim was compensated from Criminal Injuries Compensation fund.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the short answer is that you will not be able to claim for the accommodation costs etc.

LondonlawyerJ and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you