How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

i asked a solicitor to do a leise on my private commercial

This answer was rated:

i asked a solicitor to do a leise on my private commercial building for one of my tenants and so far it has taken 12 months and still no end in site i would like to dismiss him and get my new solicitor and get my money back can i ask for it back thanks XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Do you currently owe the solicitor any monies?

What is the cause of the delay?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no money owed i put £500.00 in his account

cause for delay i do not think he know what he is doing


Thank you.

If you are up to date with all the fees then you are entitled to claim your file back and terminate the retainer.

If you want to get your money back then you need one of the following circumstances:
1. You need to show he has done no work for your and therefore nothing can be billed;
2. You need to show the service has dropped below the standard expected and therefore you should not be liable to pay for it. If that is the case you need to check the retainer letter and confirm who the partner at the firm is that you complain to and make a written complaint, if they do not respond you can complain to the Legal Ombudsman -‎ - who has the power to pay compensation.

I would start by asking the solicitor to confirm in writing why the delay has occurred.

Kind regards

Alex J. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you