How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If I and my neighbours have been using a path through private

This answer was rated:

If I and my neighbours have been using a path through private land for 32 years,does this constitute a right of way that annot be removed?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have been using a short cut from our houses to another road that runs adjacent to ours.To get there we use some steps that belong to another building which is about to be redeveloped.

Thanks for the information.

If you have been using it not in secret, without objection, and without consent for over 20 years, you acquiring easement to continue with the right-of-way.

However, if the land is owned by the local authority, the period is increased to 80 years because it is classed as being Crown land.

Proving 20 years or more use is not always particularly easy because people do not document when they start using it, they only take note some years later.

I am sorry if this is bad news for you

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

3rd sentence "you acquiring easement......"what does it mean?

I'm sorry. That is a dictatation error.

It should read “you acquire an easement”.

An easement is a right over somebody else's land
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile