How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, I have just completed a 3yr degree course. I received a

Customer Question

Hi, I have just completed a 3yr degree course. I received a grant for the duration of the course. However the Student Finance England say that they paid me one year 'by mistake' and they want the money back. The reason they say is because I did HNC in Business Studies 34 years ago and used up two years of my allowance. As Student finance did not exist at that time my company paid for my studies. I believe their reason is 'beyond the bounds of reason'. They have now passed my case to a finance company for retrieval of the money. I am 72 years of age and i don't know what to do. I have already contacted my MP who was not much help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it does sound very absurd that they should be chasing you for this money but I am afraid that the rules state that if you have done a higher education course before, even if self funded, then you would not be eligible for funding.

As they are the ones who made the mistake, they should write off the 1 year finance but it seems that they are bent on pursuing you for it. You may try and arrange with them to pay the money back in instalments.

If you refuse, they would need to take you to court to try and recover their money.

I am sorry if this is not good news but I can only advise you on the law.