How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 21 year old daughter is in an abusive relationship with

Customer Question

My 21 year old daughter is in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend, he is controlling her to the extent that she can see no wrong in the man. He is driving a wedge between family and friends and she is giving him money. Police can not take any action until he becomes physically abusive.
Can we take out a restraining order or something similar to keep them apart or is there any other action we can take.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your daughter have mental health issues?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No she is perfectly sane apart from being in this dreadful relationship, He is controlling her.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then I am afraid that there is nothing that you can legally do.
She is an adult and sadly is allowed to make her own relationship mistakes,
Form bitter experience I can tell you that the most important thing to do is to keep the lines of communication open one way or another and that this will not be easy
I am sorry I do wish there was something more substantial that you could do