How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

an ex partner owes me money for non payment of council tax

This answer was rated:

an ex partner owes me money for non payment of council tax , it was in joint names but because no body knew where he had moved I became liable for the whole amount , can I use small claims to recoup at least half back and what is the likely hood of him paying ??

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he working?

Or does he have assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is working full time but has no assets .

How much does he owe please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nearly £2000.00


Its easy enough to get judgment against him. This is a small claims court sum so it will be quick and cheap to issue. You seem to be saying that you had an agreement between you that you would divide the council tax up and he defaulted upon which a court would probably accept if he was jointly named. You can issue here

Obviously getting the money is a different matter. He may pay immediately. its not that much money and if he pays within 29 days it will drop off his credit file so its worth doing on his part.

he may dig his heels in. If he is in work then you can always apply for an attachment to his earnings to enforce this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile