How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i was out of work for a while and felt like i was been forced

This answer was rated:

i was out of work for a while and felt like i was been forced back to work i am disabled and working was a great strain but i stuck it out, for 8 months unfortunatly i had 2 heart attacks before christmas. and am not well enough to return. the coucil have made 3 discretionary payments to me, and asked me to get a doctor to give me a not saying i was not fit for work, this i did. i was working as a courier and my doctor has advised it would not be safe for me to drive the amount of hours i was previously doing, i sold my van to get a smaller van and change my work pattern, i have been told by the local cousil that becouse i have mony in the bank a ballance of £5000.00 now that i should use this monies to live on. this is not only going to make me homeles in a few months but i feel they are forcing me back in to unemployment, we rent a property at the cost of £1300 a month, we had no problems paying for the lease when i was working, i dont expect help forever just untill i am well enough to return to work, i have asked them to give help getting a property from the council. they have put me on a waiting list of at least 60 months, when i explined to them the mony was for my buissness they said i should put it in a buissness account, my type of work does not require me to have a buissnes account, they also keep teling my not to worry becouse it could take the landlord 18 months to kick me out, i just do not believe they would expect me to do somthing like this, is there any law to help me i have a wife and 16 year old son.


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm not sure what your question is about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the post explains the situation i am in . but the coucil are refusing any help.

they have awarded me £65.00 every two weeks.


Yes, I've read the facts.

What is your question about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it legal for them to make me use my buisnes mony to live on thus making me bankrupt, and what are the legal responsibilites to help me with rent payments of r findind me emergency accomadation, 60 months is a long time away, what am i suposed to do when the mony i have left is spent on rent , what do i do without any help from them my wife does not want to take care of me anymore and we are going to be homeless do they have a right to help me or some sort of care for me or somware they have to put me in my situation.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

In short, it is lawful. If you are claiming a mean tested benefit then you are expected to spend your savings whether you have them ear marked for other purposes or not.

Means tested benefits consider your means and if you have a lump sum then you are not eligible.

If your bank balance is only £5k then you might still get housing benefit.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for you help

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you