How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have returned to England, July 2013, after living 31 years

This answer was rated:

I have returned to England, July 2013, after living 31 years in Australia. I was born here in 1946. I returned to help look after my sister who was diagnosed with Parkinsons. I am single (divorced)with an Australian pension and some money now in the HSBC. I have registered with a local doctor. Do I have to make any special application to remain? Am I entitled to a transport pass as I am 67? I do drive and still have my old english licence as well as my Australian one, will I have to re-take my test? Can I apply for a British Passport?

Thank You

Valerie Johnson

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Firstly as you were born in England you can apply for a British Passport. Here is the passport office. You may need to attend an interview to verify your identity.

Secondly in order to apply for a freedom pass you need to do this through your local council. . To be eligible you need to prove your residency with the following information:
Proof of your name and age (one item from the list below):
-Letter of pension entitlement
-Current passport
-Medical card
-Birth certificate (unless your name has changed)
-Pink driving licence (paper or photocard)
Proof of your address (one item from the list below):
-Current council tax bill/letter/payment book
-Current council/housing association rent book/statement/letter
-Current television licence
-Residential utility bill (excluding mobile phone bills) dated in the last 3 months
-Residential bank/building society statement dated in the last 3 months
-HM Revenues and Customs letter dated in the last 3 months
-Department for Work and Pensions letter dated in the last 3 months
-Occupational pension letter dated in the last 3 months
-Residential credit card statement dated in the last 3 months.
- If you do not bring your proof of name, age or address to the Post Office they will not be able to give you a Freedom Pass.

Thirdly you should be able to drive on your AustralXXXXX XXXXXcence for 12 months at which point you will need to change it for a UK licence within 5 years of being a resident. You can check the criteria here.

Can I be of any further assistance.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you but that is all for now. That advice has been very good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, your help was very good and I have followed your advice.


Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

I hope you managed to resolve everything.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards