How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello I have received brutal life threats with asking ransom

Customer Question


I have received brutal life threats with asking ransom verbally and written from my former employer staffs to me and my family (around 2012 I found out my personal file sensitive continents has been lost from employer) last year April to July 2013, while I was handling employment tribunal matter during the time I didn't go to police because police reaction could be harmful to my family members therefore I took precaution first to save my family members who lives out side UK and informed to employers solicitors but they cover up this matters after that I went to police by September 2012, Police said they can not do as it nearly 6 months old case, but this kind of activity happen any time in future, I need to take legal action against them to Sue, how can I do that? if you can direct me that would be grateful.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Who do you want to sue and what for please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Threads came via employer email account and one of store manager's own Facebook account also I have some call logs with voice message too ,

I need know know who do I sue, employer or person who threaten me? and what should I do as next step for this matter, I leave in UK under Asylum status so I am struggle to figure out what would I do next step? I need to do criminal proceeding for this people but Police has not take any action against them

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but I'm not sure what you want to sue for?

What loss has this caused you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I and my family lived with stress and fear, I had to move their residence around that cost lot, feelings of hurt, they used abusive lanuage that has been seen other employees too and I believe these thing happened after loosing my personal data such as (Visa, Pass port ant other personal information's of address, contact details) ICO found out my employer has not comply the data protection therefore I believed they use my personal information to get a financial gain by threatening. at this point I need to figure out next step who am I gonna sue or take criminal proceeding and how do I do it under legal aid

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I'm really sorry but Im not sure I can give you good news here.

You seem to be describing criminal offences but the police will not act and you cannot force them to do so. There are lots of authorities that demand that they consider every complaint but they do not have to launch a full scale investigation or prosecution.

I'm not sure what civil claim could be brought. I suppose if there are repeated acts of contact then you could sue in harassment. You won't get legal aid for that but its not very expensive to sue if you self represent.

The DPO issue is a matter for the ICO rather than the civil courts unless you have suffered actual financial loss as a result of this.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is DPO?


After I complaint about my personal data was lost employer (26/02/12) did set up two deceptive case get rid off me from the company 2012, eventually 04/01/13 I got dismiss rationally as result of this loosing my sensitive data I got dismiss with loosing nearly 24K loss of earning and I am suffer anxiety still under treatment of NHS, with life threatening and ransom, in this case do you think there is no case against employer or who threaten staff to sue ?


how wouldn't I not get legal support to solve this matter other hand you say there is no way to take action such harassment to public safe ? which means anyone can threaten, getting ransom , using some ones personal information to financial gain and misused them and I do not know how far they used my personal information and activity ? that is why i am seeking to sue them and take necessary steps for them to prevent future losses

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
That should have read DPA. Data protection act.

I wouldn't know anything about the employment issue. That wasn't your question originally and its not my area.

On your final point, you wouldn't get legal aid because nobody does. If people want to sue for harassment then they fund the action themselves.

The problem with this is that these are criminal offences rather than civil wrongs but the police will not act.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the police not act on this what will I do ? do I have anywhere to complaint?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
They are free to do that. They still have a discretion upon whether or not to take a crime report and also it is possible that it was the decision of CPS not to prosecute this for evidential reasons.

If so, there isn't anything that can be done about that now. We don't have prosecution on demand in the Uk Im afraid.