How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I defaulted on a mortgage for a apartment in pahos cyprus with

Customer Question

I defaulted on a mortgage for a apartment in pahos cyprus with bank of cyprus 4 years ago can they come after my property in the uk ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Sadly yes.
Alex Watts : This is because Cypriot judgments can be enforced in the uk.
Alex Watts : If they get a Cypriot ccj they can apply to have that transferred to the uk
Alex Watts : If it is enforced in the uk and the uk property is in your name they can apply for a charging ordrt.
Alex Watts : order
Alex Watts : Once they have the charging order the debt becomes secure.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-pf45tj6i- :

Hi Alex they have an english based company doing there work and have a court date for 6 march 2014 . Lee

Alex Watts : Ok. Is there a anything else you want to ask me or can I clarify about this?
JACUSTOMER-pf45tj6i- :

They have had a court date in cyprus in 2011 . what should i do ?

Alex Watts : You need to defend it if you dispute it, but if you have lawyers on the case then it sounds like it is all in hand.
JACUSTOMER-pf45tj6i- :

Pitmans solicitors have said they will take action against me from the 6 march if i don't contact them . i have no solicitor defending me . what should i do ? Lee

Alex Watts : You need to see a solciotor, but in reality if you owe it I don't think you can fight it Lee
Alex Watts : I am sorty
Alex Watts : sorry
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: