How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I was born in one of the former british colonies in Africa.

This answer was rated:

I was born in one of the former british colonies in Africa. have come to realise that my date of birth is not correct. how can I change it?

Which document contains the incorrect date of birth and what does your birth certificate say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My birth certificate says 31 05 1956. I was born on a Sunday. But my late mother told me that I was born two years before the coronation of Queen Elizabeth the second of England. So surely my date of birth cannot be 1956.

Bad news I am afraid. You will have a very difficult time changing your birth certificate and this will need to be done in the country you were born in. Even if you do manage to get your birth certificate changed to reflect your correct birth date, you will then incur a lot of costs changing all your official documents such as driving licences, passports, school records to reflect your correct date of birth.

So, unless there is a legal issue, I would advise you to just leave things the way they are unless you are prepared to incur the cost and time this will take, with no guarantee that you will manage to change your birth certificate anyway.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told a sworn affidavit will do the job. So if I swear an affidavit from a solicitor cant that help to change it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need the answer before I go to sleep. if you send me an answer to my mail box an I am not satisfied where can I go for further advise an that will mean a waste of money. please let any of your experts give an answer please.
You may swear an affidavit to this effect but you would need to change your birth certificate first before government departments would change your documents.

All the best