How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71141
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband took voluntary redundancy circa 20 months ago.

This answer was rated:

My husband took voluntary redundancy circa 20 months ago. We downsized. We are mortgage free. I work. All savings have gone. I have had to get a loan and have two credit cards. Yet my husband has not been able to claim benefits. I believe he is being refused because I work, but I am getting in personal debt to keep the house going. Can you suggest any way round this, any act of law to quote etc?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You mean to claim benefits?

What do you earn please?

I'm afraid its likely to be bad news.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought as much.. I take home circa £2,500 per month


Stupidly I thought that if someone paid every month during their working life it was to receive benefits to help them....


Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Unfortunately that is going to be an issue. Obviously he is otherwise eligible but the difficulty is that he lives with you and you are earning over an amount that would attract means tested benefits.

Quite frankly, people like you and I would be much better off paying into an insurance policy that covers this type of thing than paying tax as its rare that we can use benefits.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought as much. Two more quick questions if I may:


1. I suspect that an insurance policy cannot be entered into at this stage? Should I get one? We have no mortgage, but rates etc are v. expensive.


2. My husband has certainly been workign for 30 years, but this morning a friend said that the law has changed and one has to have worked for 35 years for the NI to be paid. Should he check his position?

1 Not at this stage. In fact, there are few available really that cover everything anyway so even if you had looked at that probably it wouldn't be availalbe. I was just responding to your point about people who pay into the benefits system for years. The truth is, its not really for people with a proper work ethic.

2 No, its still 30 years. See here
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you