How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Good evening. Im a joint freeholder and having issues with

Customer Question

Good evening. I'm a joint freeholder and having issues with the other freeholder. He rent his property to a DHSS mother and her two children. They're very noisy and I've had issues with them, reported to council etc, nothing has happened as a result. I spoke with the freeholder and he basically doesn't care. The issues that I have now are in regard to maintenance to the property for example the dividing fence has collapsed as a result of the recent gales, the drain pipes below the roof have come away and there are damp patches in my property. I contacted his managing agent in November sending photos, nothing happened. In January I obtained quotes to repair the damage and forwarded photographs of the damage. His letting agency stated they had no contractors to send round for two weeks as they were all busy. Two weeks passed and I got back in contact with the letting agent. This time they said they would not be sending any contractor round. I contacted the freeholder and spoke to him, I forwarded all copies of the correspondence and photos. He said he would contact me once he'd completed his investigations. Last Monday his agency informed me that a contractor would come out to quote. I've not heard from them yet. I've decided that I will wait until next week and contact him. In the meantime, I would like some advice regarding my rights. He's in breach of the covenants in our lease, I'm always chasing him, his agency are unprofessional and ignore me. I'm extremely frustrated by this whole matter and until now have tried to resolve matters with him/or his agency. After this recent incident with his agency I said I would no longer deal with them and only him directly. It's got to the point that I feel driven out of my home, this is for the second time.Whether he comes back to me with a quotation for the work (I've already got one quote) we need to agree what happens if there's anything that needs fixing with the property. We're supposed to have joint building insurance but I've had to get my own at a premium because as he rents to a DHSS person the premium was very high. The freeholder is making my life a misery but I refuse to be driven out of my home. The property is in London I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if these are two flats - e.g. in a maisonette or some other form of arrangement please?

JACUSTOMER-gxsp2x5t- : Hello Joshua, yes there are two flats. I have the two floors (maisonette). I purchased the freehold and it states joint liability. I'm not entirely clear if the Freeholder of the whole house. Should I try and upload this? I have my land registry document.
Joshua :

Thanks for the above. If you are happy to upload the LR title please do. Alternatively, you mention you own two floors; how may floors are there in the building altogether?

JACUSTOMER-gxsp2x5t- : Hi there's 3. Ground floor flat and then there's mine we both have our front door.
Joshua :

thanks. If you would kindly bear with me. I need to reread your original question in order to remind myself of the facts...

Joshua :

Thanks. has the other party contributed towards the buildings insurance policy please?

JACUSTOMER-gxsp2x5t- :

no we have separate insurance because he rents his to a DHSS person and I don't rent mine therefore the premium is higher. I've had to take out a special insurance to cover myself. P.S Im not getting any notifications that you've replied to me. Is there anything further you need from me?