How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

A group of unrelated individuals recently attended an IT SQL

Customer Question

A group of unrelated individuals recently attended an IT SQL Server training course in London. The training website advertised: 'we have a well structured classroom based, hands-on, tutor led training on SQL courses in London, delivered by our expert, certified and industry experienced trainers.' However, the equipment was not fit for purpose and the instructor was totally incompetent (definitely neither certified or experienced). As a consequence we covered less than 50% of the syllabus. The claims on the company website are completely misleading. We each paid £1250 for the week long course. In the event, the trainer was only available for 4 days of the 5 days so we missed a day's training. We are thinking as individuals of going to small claims court to claim our course fees back. Is this appropriate, and should we claim as individuals or as a group? So far we have sent a number of emails but the only compensation we have been offered is £250 for the missed day.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you may all certainly get together and file a class or group action in court.

You have 2 options, either to settle with the company out of court and ask them to increase the compensation to say 625 pounds as you covered half of the syllabus and if this has benefited you in some way. If there has been no benefit whatsoever, then you may claim the full amount back.

The easiest would be to claim online at

Hope this helps