How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have recieved a summons for speeding after being stopped

This answer was rated:

I have recieved a summons for speeding after being stopped by the police it names the inncorect name of the road I was on is this legal

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this. Do you agree you were speeding?



Jo C. : How bad is the error?

I have converted this to Q and A for ease of communication.

How bad is the error please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The say I was traveling at 120 MPH I have never traveled at this speed

I am 72

Hello, I see you decided not to work with my colleague so I will help instead. Also please note there is no need to switch between experts as it will just delay your response. How bad is the error in terms of the name of the street?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Two totally different names, they say on there summons namely A45 Wilby Way, Wilby Way is on the A509 I was traveling on the A45 Great Billing Way


Sorry Forgot To say Hello to You



Hi Mike, thanks for getting back to me.

You can plead not guilty to this charge as you were not actually speeding at that location.

However, the risk is that the Crown will realise their error and amend the charge, which is something they can do without needing prior permission from the courts. What they cannot do is amend is that original fixed penalty notice so you could rely on that which contains the error.

Saying that, it is quite unlikely that the court are going to say this specific error was sufficient to create doubts over the main offence. If there is genuine doubt over the location of the offence then you should be acquitted because they can't say what the speed limits were at multiple locations but it is unfortunately no likely to come to that. The most likely outcome is that this was just an administrative error which they could amend.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience: Qualified Solicitor
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your very helpful advice


Best Regards



You are welcome, all the best