How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Family business father has main share in business, son has

This answer was rated:

Family business father has main share in business, son has remaining share. Father has deteriorating health and erratic behaviour making workplace impossible for staff. Father is not working but is taking wage from business each week. Father's behaviour is threatening survival of business. How can this situation be resolved legally? Son willing to give father settlement to leave business.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is it a partnership or a limited company please?

I have replied with additional information but this must not have been received by you. This is a limited company. Eldest son has invested money in recent years when company was struggling. Four additional family members work within the company and support decision to remove father from business as he is creating difficulties. One member of staff has left due to harassment and current employees are working in stressful environment with verbal abuse due to father.


Can you advise how family especially son can proceed to resolve this situation. Do family hold any position as father has main share in company? family wish to resolve this amicably but this is becoming less possible.

Alex Watts : Does it say in the articles how one Director can be removed or what is required please?
Customer: No there is no guidance at what us required to remove a director. The eldest son and father are both directors
Alex Watts : Is he just making bad choices or lacks capacity?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you