How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have joint power of attorney over my Aunts financal affairs.

This answer was rated:

I have joint power of attorney over my Aunt's financal affairs. It states that both people can act together and severally on any and all matters. My Aunt has two bank accounts. The Halifax has accepted that I can act on my own to manage her account. However, HSBC will not register my power of attorney unless the other party is also registered. As the power of attorney states that I can act indipendently. Can the HSBC prevent me?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

HSBC can not/should not refuse to register the power of Attorney. Unfortunately, when it comes to Powers of Attorney many Bank staff lack the legal understanding and training to know exactly what it means and what the difference between "jointly" and "jointly and severally" mean.

I suggest that you go back to HSBC and if they still refuse to register it on their system that you ask for a copy of their complaints procedure. You will then need to follow this procedure and if you are still without luck, you would need to complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

I hope this sets out the legal position to you.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you