How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I produced music for an artist and this track will now be part

This answer was rated:

I produced music for an artist and this track will now be part of an album I was contacted by her manager and asked to rearrange and reprogram some of the instruments. This track has several creatives and my work was initially constructed when I worked in a studio as an assistant owned by the man who has now taken all the credit for the work. I have recently learned that he has been paid for the whole track and has taken all the credit for the work. I want to be credited and paid for the work i did but this guy is very powerful and rich and I don't know how to start legal action. Should I contact a law firm specialising in media law? Should I ask to speak with a barrister or a solicitor? How much would I have to pay for a consultation?

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Are you saying that he individual concerned is in breach of copyright?

Customer: Yes but I'm not sure as I was under his employment when I initially started making this track with two other people. Neither of them have been paid nor credited. Nothing happened with te track until the artist and his manager contacted me recently to get me to reprogram and redo the tracks. I have all the proof of correspondences and proof that I created it
tdlawyer :

Normally, when you're employed, your employers own the copyright to your works; this is the case for music, literary works etc.

tdlawyer :

Unless you agree otherwise.

Customer: Even though I am no longer under his employment and haven't been for 6 years? And that this track is not as it was then when I re did it recently?
tdlawyer :

When did you create the works concerned, during employment or not?

Customer: I started the track under his employment. Then nothing was done with it... Then the artist himselfcontacted me 6months ago and asked me to rearrange and reprogram it ... It is no longer the same. I signed no agreement at the time to say he owns all my work as I was employed to make tea and assist the engineer at the studio
tdlawyer :

Ah, I see. I think if its significantly different, then it's fair to say that it's not likely to belong to the former employer at all. If this was a commissioned work (as it sounds like it might be), then you would still own it.

tdlawyer :

I believe that from what you have said, you're likely to own it, and as such, you would be entitled to bring a claim if needed for breach of copyright.

tdlawyer :

Do you need a media lawyer? No, not really. You need a litigation lawyer with experience of intellectual property disputes.

tdlawyer :

There are lots of them. Where about in the country are you?

Customer: London
tdlawyer :

Okay. Then in that case, you have a considerable choice of lawyers. You can go to some of the larger firms, where the specialism is evident, such as Addleshaw Goddard, Olswang, Field Fisher Waterhouse etc ...

tdlawyer :

They will instruct a specialist barrister on your behalf if they need to.

tdlawyer :

You need a firm like this, with some clout behind it, if your opposition has access to significant resources and is wealthy and powerful.

Customer: Brilliant thank you for your help. Best regards
tdlawyer :

You're most welcome.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?

tdlawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you