How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I am renting a house and I have a tenancy agreement which

This answer was rated:

I am renting a house and I have a tenancy agreement which ends on 5th July.
The thing is tat I am due to give birth on 2nd July and obviously I can't move out on the 5th July. The agency and the landlord said they are not happy to extend my contract so I am asking what can I do in order to stay until september at least in the house?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract do you have please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

shorthold tenancy agreement

You cannot force them to allow you to stay.

What you can do is refuse to move out and then they will have to go to court to seek a possession order. That will not take until September but it will take several weeks.

The downside though is that you will be liable for their costs which will not be large but they are not ones that you can ignore.

However, the practical reality is that unless they fail to serve the s21 notice in time there is no realistic chance of staying until September without their agreement I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

Can they really force me to move out with a new born baby?

Yes, I'm afraid so.

Your circumstances are not their problem I'm afraid. This is a private property and they are entitled to access which a judge would enforce at court if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!

So they will expect me to move out on the 5th July. I will let them know that I can't due to my situation. Then I guess they will say that they are taking me to court and then how much time I will have according to your opinion?

Yes, basically.

You are acting unlawfully by remaining but they have to go to court to get you out.

How long depends on listings in the area. Sometimes it can be a very few weeks because they could apply for accelerated possession. Sometimes months. Its rare now for it to take more than 2 months
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!
So I will definitely have a month more, isnt it?
I don't need much and I am sure the court will understand


Its not what the court understands.

Its just the length of time it takes to get there.

It probably would take a month to get to court.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile