How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I need advice regarding a colleague who has made slanderous

This answer was rated:

I need advice regarding a colleague who has made slanderous remarks (in public) and following my official complaint to my company (grievance was upheld) I now wish to take action against him as my reputatation (48years in current industry) has been greatly affected.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

In this circumstance the general rule is that damage caused by slander is not presumed unless in certain circumstances one of the them being slander made about some ones office or professional trade (Hopwood v Muirson [1945]).

If defamation (Slander) is provide then you have two remedies available to you damages and an injunction.

If you want to bring claim then I would strongly consider first what financial means this individual has. If they have no money or limited funds then any court action is likely to be expensive.

Further more before any proceedings are commenced there is a procedure for offering the defendant the opportunity to apologise in writing through the means of alternate dispute resolution - S.2 of the Defamation Act 1996.

If they are prepared to make these amends then this will be more favourable than a defamation claim which will likely cost many thousands or pounds.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you