How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi there... I want to apply for a British citizenship... I

This answer was rated:

Hi there... I want to apply for a British citizenship... I am here in Uk since end of 2003 up to end of 2012 I was working full time... December 2012 I went on maternity leave, during my maternity I was receiving SMP for 9 months from my employer, during my maternity leave I was claiming housing benefit as I gave birth to twins and could note manage financially as my partner was unemployed... I was also receiving child tax credit... After maternity leave ended last month I returned to full time employment... Would receiving housing benefit affect my application? Many thanks for your help in advance...

Do you currently have indefinite leave to remain in the Uk and if so, when did you get it? are you married and if so, what nationality is your spouse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do have residence documentation, date of issue is 8th December2011, document is certifying permanent residence... My partner is Polish, we both are polish, we are not married...
Thank you.

You do not need to worry in that case, once you became a permanent resident, you were entitled to claim benefits so the fact that you received housing benefit during your maternity leave will not affect your British Citizenship application.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you